Benefits of the 340B Program
Savings realized through participation in the 340B program supports Hayward Area Memorial Hospital and Water’s Edge ability to provide services to under and uninsured patients, regardless of their ability to pay, and to address health care needs in our communities. In addition to providing free and discounted prescription drugs to low-income patients, Hayward Area Memorial Hospital and Water’s Edge also provides a variety of services to help care for the most vulnerable in the communities we serve. Among these services are:
- Expanding access to specialized services
- Operating a 50-bed long term care center
- Operating a 40-unit senior living apartment complex
- Subsidizing chemotherapy and immunotherapy for uninsured patients at our on-site infusion center
Impact of Scaling Back the 340B Program
Scaling back the 340B program would threaten Hayward Area Memorial Hospital and Water’s Edge capacity to offer the services described above to our patients.
340B by the Numbers
- $1.2 Million: Amount of savings realized from the 340B program in Fiscal Year 2018.
- $543,000: Amount provided in Charity Care (at cost) in Fiscal Year 2018.
- $2.9 Million: Cost of uncompensated care for Medicaid and Medicare patients in Fiscal Year 2018.
- $4.9 Million: Unfunded loss from subsidized health services.